Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dinner for Breakfast & Vice Versa

I’m really trying to get through this summer with no air conditioning. Not sure I’ll make it, though. It’s still May and temperatures are around 90 every day. Writing can be hot work but cooking is even hotter.

I really should clean out my old office that’s used as storage now so I can write under a ceiling fan instead of at the fringes of a breeze from the fan over the dog’s bed. The phone’s right there and the television’s farther away. Sounds like a much more efficient place to work.

One day last week I made Chicken Toes (like chicken fingers but shorter) in the morning. They were oven-fried and cooking in the morning meant it barely got warm in the kitchen. It was a good plan. The only problem was I ate all but two before dinner time. Izzy, my German Shepherd, and I had a discussion as we shared the last Chicken Toe and decided it was a good idea to make dinner for breakfast but we should probably eat it for breakfast as well.

This morning over hamburgers and green beans, Izzy suggested honey oat cereal for dinner. She took credit for the idea because every good idea is her idea. She thinks she’s a very smart dog. She’s right. Don’t know how right she’ll be about dinner. I was thinking hard-boiled eggs and salsa. We’ll see who wins.
I’d cook on the gas grill on the back patio but I never got used to using it. Besides, it hasn’t been the same since the neighbor’s tree fell on it. It’s falling apart and held together by only one screw. Checking around for charcoal grills nearly every time I go out shopping. Some day soon, I’ll bring one home. And I won’t forget the charcoal.

I remember my old Weber kettle and how I’d clean off the snow in the winter and grill meat for a week. Chicken breasts, little steaks, lamb chops, maybe pork chops would land on the grill each Sunday night. I’d feast all week and only needed to add a salad and a cup of my favorite vegetable. When I get the new grill, I’ll do the old tricks. I’m dying to grill veggies this time. And I won’t forget the marshmallows!

I win tonight for dinner. Izzy already ate. Hard-boiled eggs, here I come!

3 comments:

  1. Why don't you have an air conditioner? That seems like a necessity down here in the south. I'm a Mississippi girl, and I know I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read one of your previous posts and I see what your saying. I too was living with my ceiling fan on for a while. We turned the AC on this month though. I keep the thermostat at 80 to keep our energy bill down though.

    BTW, I'm princesseowyn on iVillage. I have not posted in a while, but I was lurking today and I thought I'd check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica! You have a face! Great to actually see you!!!

    Thank you for following my blog. I'll try to keep it interesting.

    ReplyDelete