Monday, May 3, 2010

I Volunteered!

Wasn't sure what I was going to write about today. A week of eggs and potatoes didn't sound very exciting. Even adding a pound of chicken livers didn't help. Well, it helped add a little animal protein to go with the potatoes. Veggies added variety and color but trying to eat five pounds of potatoes before they grow eyes and roots can get monotonous.

The week of potatoes, of course, put a new cookbook on my list of things to write. Mrs. Potato Head! You've got to try the potato salad!

A local restaurant club is hosting a fundraiser on Saturday, the day before Mother's Day. It sounds like a great time for a great cause. I wanted to go. I don't get out much these days. They needed volunteers. I called.

After a wonderful conversation with "Sarasota Sally," I volunteered to work the early shift, 2 to 6 for a dinner that lasts from 5 to 8. Don't know if I'll get any food but I sure will have things to do. Note to self: light lunch and full tank of gas.

The charity reaping the benefits of this dinner is Our Mother's House, a Catholic Charities program for homeless mothers. Since I work (hard) at frugal eating, I thought there might be a place to share my obsession with these mothers who can never afford lobster. After the dinner would be a good time to make a plan to take to Our Mother's House for some classes on shopping and cooking healthy meals the kids will like (maybe even love!). Ideas for cooking with the kids will have to be part of it.

Once I catch up with him, I'll be cooking with my grandson by e-mail. I started writing him a cookbook when he was three. He's five now and I'm still working on the chapter for four-year-old cooks. If I don't volunteer too much, I should catch up with him by June. The book lasts until age 13, though, so I'd better write fast.

Time to make dinner! Do I want potato salad (I said it was good!) or oven fries to go with my burger? Incredible ice cream for dessert. Blue Bell has a new flavor, Summer Berries. Might have to make freezer room before it goes off sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment